By: Contributed Report | Twitter: @DinwiddieMonitr
Posted: Apr. 25, 2018 | 1:45 p.m.
“A Day of Family Fun and Adventure Celebrating Our River ‐ Heritage ‐ Nature ‐ Recreation”
VIRGINIA – On Saturday, April 28th Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR) presents the 4th Annual Appomattox RiverFest with co‐sponsor Fort Lee and featuring 20+ regional partners, tasty food, local Trapezium brews, and a whole lot of outdoor activities!
This day-long family event is for river and nature lovers, outdoor enthusiast, history buffs, and everyone who wants to spend a day enjoying the scenic and historic treasures of the Appomattox River!
From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Appomattox Riverside Park, 24909 Ferndale Road, Petersburg VA 23803 – on the rocky rapid falls where Dinwiddie, Petersburg, and Chesterfield meet ‐ RiverFest will offer these activities and more:
- Youth Fishing workshops, provided by Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries
- Kayaking workshops with certified instructors from Fort Lee MWR Outdoor Recreation
- Archaeological activities and demonstrations and
- Obstacle course with Fort Lee
- View rare fauna along the trails with a Naturalist
- See and learn about the fish, reptiles, amphibians, bugs and birds that help keep the river healthy with Environment Education Specialists and AWARE (Alliance of Wild Animal Rehabilitators and Educators)
- Stroll or ride a Tram along the River Walk Trail that provides great views of the river
- Learn the history of the River and Batteau with the Virginia Canals and Navigation Society
- Enjoy Trapezium Craft Beer, Food Trucks, and Live Music by Mike Packer & Johnny Holt!
Program contributors include: Fort Lee, VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, VA Department of Forestry, VA Master Naturalist‐Pocahontas Chapter, Dinwiddie Master Gardeners, VCU Rice Rivers Center, Parks and Recreation Departments, Virginia Navigations & Canals Society, AWARE‐Alliance of Wild Animal Rehabilitators, Appomattox River Soil and Water Conservation District, Virginia American Water, Matoaca Village History, HistoriCorps, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, and more!
RiverFest kayak workshop with Fort Lee MWR Outdoor Recreation. (John A. Rooney via FOLAR)
There will be plenty of off‐site parking with shuttle buses running throughout the day at four locations: (Only handicap accessible parking will be available on‐site.)
- Bank of McKenney, (6300 River Rd., Petersburg VA 23803)
- Matoaca Baptist Church (6409 River Rd., Petersburg VA 23803);
- Matoaca Elementary School (6627 River Rd, Petersburg, VA 23803); and
- Matoaca United Methodist Church (6301 River Rd., South Chesterfield VA 23803)
The event is free and open to the public thanks to our title sponsor Anthem HealthKeepers‐ CareMore‐Benefinder.com and many additional sponsors including the John Randolph Foundation, Appomattox River Soil and Water Conservation District, Virginia American Water, Vulcan Materials, WestRock, Container First Services, Petersburg Area Regional Tourism, and Hopewell Recreation & Parks.
Additional event information can be found at www.folar‐va.org or Facebook, or email, GetInvolved@folar‐va.org or by calling (804) 543‐0325.
FOLAR ‐ Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR) is the only organization in the Tri‐Cities and surrounding counties dedicated to conserving and protecting the natural, cultural and recreational resources along the Lower Appomattox River. FOLAR has served the region as a registered 501c3 nonprofit organization since 2001 working to develop river stewardship, improve parks, establish trails, access the river, and protect special places. Additional information can be found at, www.folar‐va.org, or by contacting FOLAR’s Executive Director Wendy Austin at email@example.com; 804‐861‐1666 office; or 804‐543‐0325 cell. Photo contact: Ken Newman; Kennewman@hotmail.com
Title Sponsors: Anthem Healthkeepers Inc./CareMore and Benefinder.com ‐ CareMore is a health care delivery system built on compassion and fueled by innovation, treating patients and families with the care and dignity they deserve. More information on CareMore can be found at http://caremore.com. To find information on your insurance options visit http://www.benefinder.com/